Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mean Beans

It’s often remarked upon how strangely I eat, an observation wholly based in fact. And yes, that does include a lot of beans, because they’re delicious, easy, cheap, and insanely nutritious. But eventually you eat enough hummus (or not) and need to branch out. I made, or rather stumbled upon, both these white bean ideas this weekend and was sort of impressed with myself, so I present to you all.

Cannellinis with Chevre
When that awesome, huge package of chevre was hanging around our house, before we finished it off with Peter’s (delicious) bread on Monday, I shoved a spoonful into some hot beans that I had warmed on the stove and threw in some coriander and cumin. The cheese was so soft to begin with that it melted instantly and created a really nice, warm, comforting bowl of mush.

White Bean Dip
1 can Cannellini beans
1 roasted red pepper
lots of salt, pepper, and fresh herbs
a healthy sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
Put everything in the food processor and blend.

This one is from the amazing Gourmet Cookbook, which we swear by in Bed Stuy. There had been some talk about how to make hummus really creamy before, and I think the addition of the bread crumbs could be a help. It gave the dip plenty of body, and it really came out smooth without the addition of any fat. Not sure how it would work with chickpeas, which tend to be drier than cannelinis, but successful here, nonetheless.
Herb wise, I used a bunch of basil and parsley from the jungle that has become our front steps. Super easy and kinda pretty too.

Anyhow, I’m always looking for new bean-y things to try, especially if they involve a food processor, so feel free to suggest.

And I’m just gonna put it out there that Tagalongs may actually be better than Thin Mints.

No comments: