Friday, March 02, 2007

Room 4 Dessert: Apricots and Nosey Servers



For those not in the know (losers), last night Simon, Martine, Jen, and I went to a swanky downtown desert joint called Room 4 Dessert. Being that I am more inclined to criticize than to praise, I'd like to say right off the bat that the food was amazing. I'm pretty sure i managed to try everyone's order, and they all lived up to the super-swanky-dessert-joint hype. I don't really recall what everyone else ordered, thought I do distinctly remember my Chocobubbles. Memorable not only for its tastiness, but also for its supremely retarded title.

And so, there in lies the ultimate downfall of Room 4 Dessert. For despite its many culinary accomplishments, the inherent retardedness of the entire affair prevents the experience from being altogether memorable, or at least in any good way. The many pitfalls of R4D (not to be mistaken for the H is O, i.e. the Heat is On) regrettably don't end with the word choice on their menu. What irked me the most about the meal was the way, way too in-your-face server, who insisted upon positioning herself almost directly in front of me for the entire meal. Standing a good foot or so taller than I while sitting at the bar, she managed to make me feel completely uncomfortable almost the entire evening. Even when I tried to break the awkwardness with a joke, albeit a corny one, she barely responded.

Truth be told, there were only a few other minor flaws. The price being one of them, I felt the $10 minimum for dessert to be a bit inflated, and the $5 coffee to be completely disappointing. Moreover, I couldn't help but feel a little guilty knowing that just next door, you could get what I would assume is an amazing slice of cheesecake for just a couple bucks.

Cost and douchey staff aside though, the food was great.

2 comments:

Bijoy said...

good said about the article room 4 desssert keep the good work up and be in touch

regards Biby - Blog

Jen said...

I tend to agree. It was really nice to have a fabulous dessert that was the opposite of the overly sweet and overly large goo-fest that typifies American desserts (and, coincidentally, my method of baking). That said, these desserts were really so well constructed that it took a few bites to understand what was going on, and I wouldn't have minded a few more.

Hi Biby.